GAC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Galactic Adventure Club

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» It is time for our yearly pilgrimage.
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Terwynd Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:06 pm

» my forum now
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby lonestar4 Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:41 am

» Press F
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Dark_Plague Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:41 pm

» Happy Inactivity Anniversary
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Potatrobot Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:29 am

» Hi guys
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Sean1M Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:29 am

» -Three- Sentence Tale (REBOOT)
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Terwynd Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:08 am

» Music Appreciation (Forum Game)
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Terwynd Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:23 am

» Your very own art
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby ReFrostE Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:58 am

» Game Night 'To-buy' List
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Terwynd Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:21 pm

» Sentain IC
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Potatrobot Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:14 pm

» MC realms
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby camelfox Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:51 am

» Photoshop game
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Dark_Plague Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:29 am

» Tate's renders -- Now in college
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Potatrobot Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:24 am

» Warframe — Because Space Ninjas
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Delta Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:31 pm

» Random & Crazy Pictures
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Dark_Plague Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:12 am

» Stars Without Number OOC – Lifepath and Hacking Added
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Terwynd Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:02 am

» Hey guys...
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Talvox Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:38 am

» New Super Smash Bros. Game announced for teh Wii U and 3DS
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Potatrobot Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:29 pm

» What are your favorite youtube videos?
Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Emptyby Terwynd Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 pm

Top posting users this week
No user

Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA

Go down 
+6
Ferrety
ReFrostE
Drew
Dory01
Mitchz95
Terwynd
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Terwynd
Purple spice
Purple spice
Terwynd

Upvotes: : 18

Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Empty
PostSubject: Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA   Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 8:06 pm

Just read this article.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112559-Internet-Explodes-Over-Origins-Invasion-of-Privacy

How this affects us you ask?

You remember how Spore came with the EA Download Manager? Well, now it's been replaced with the Steam ripoff called Origin. I don't know about you, but to me, this is a criminal action, and I'm surprized EA hasn't been taken to court yet on this matter.

Escapist wrote:
"By installing Origin, in other words, you're agreeing to the Terms of Service, and by agreeing to it, you're giving EA the green light to poke and prod around your computer, suck up information about your hardware, your software - and not just games, mind you, but everything - and what you do with it when you think nobody's looking. Want to opt out? You can't, except by not installing it at all"

So if you don't play Spore or use the EA Download Manager anymore, I would suggest you wall off ALL of its actions with some sort of anti-virus program, then install IoBit's free version of Advanced SystemCare. Look it up and run it (it removes all tracking cookies and will actually optimize your PC, so I recommend using it even if you don't have Origin.

Thanks for listening.
Back to top Go down
Mitchz95
Purple spice
Purple spice
Mitchz95

Upvotes: : 10

PostSubject: Huh.   Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 8:36 pm

[sarcasm]I wonder who came up with that brilliant idea.[/sarcasm] They're gonna be up to their necks in lawsuits!
Back to top Go down
Dory01
Pink Spice
Pink Spice
Dory01

Upvotes: : 4

PostSubject: Re: Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA   Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 8:45 pm

Mind you, that still doesn't mean EA is actually sifting through people's personal stuff. It means they check how their own products are being used and how often, at least that's what I got from reading the TOS.
I'm no big fan of EA myself but I still think we should take this in proportion. The writer of this article was probably just trying to stir panic.
Back to top Go down
http://poharex.webs.com
Drew
Admin

Upvotes: : 20

PostSubject: Re: Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA   Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 8:55 pm

I am not shocked by any of this. In fact, I sorta anticipated it a bit. EA greed once again is trying to milk every customer for everything they got.
Back to top Go down
ReFrostE
Silver Spice
Silver Spice
ReFrostE

Upvotes: : 14

PostSubject: Re: Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA   Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:39 pm

I only used 2 of EA's products and that was Portal and Spore, I don't think I have Orgin though.

So, I think it's a bunch of crap.
Back to top Go down
http://aikawiifrostie.deviantart.com/
Ferrety
Green Spice
Green Spice
Ferrety

Upvotes: : 1

PostSubject: Re: Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA   Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 11:07 pm

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/26/ea-revises-origin-eula-data-collection-is-still-in-collection/

Just a quick news thing I found. They've made a new EULA that removes mention of gathering data for marketing purposes. I don't trust EA more after this, and it's probably just for PR purposes, but it's something, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Kitty
Silver Spice
Silver Spice
Kitty

Upvotes: : 58

PostSubject: Re: Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA   Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 2:13 am

Oh, EA. You silly company you. :>

Honestly though, This isn't really the first dumb mistake EA ever made.
Anyone ever seen how they advertised Dante's Inferno?
Or better yet, Dead Space 2?
barf
Back to top Go down
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice
Lazernugget

Upvotes: : 6
Location : At the hadron colider poking antimatter with a rod.

PostSubject: Re: Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA   Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 3:11 am

This makes me glad I don't have Origin...My account is still under my friend's computer... O_o Man, EA keeps getting worse and worse in my opinion. But I expected something like this...
Back to top Go down
-NOX-
Green Spice
Green Spice
-NOX-

Upvotes: : 4

PostSubject: Re: Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA   Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 3:30 am

I'm on a Mac Trollface
In all seriousness, here's another article.
Back to top Go down
ReFrostE
Silver Spice
Silver Spice
ReFrostE

Upvotes: : 14

PostSubject: Re: Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA   Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 3:33 am

-NOX- wrote:
I'm on a Mac Trollface

MUST RESIST URGE TO REFERENCE OLD SPICE!
Back to top Go down
http://aikawiifrostie.deviantart.com/
DarkFish
Purple spice
Purple spice
DarkFish

Upvotes: : 1

PostSubject: Re: Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA   Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 3:52 am

Wow, really? You got to be kidding me. I don't think anything could stop me from playing Spore, but EA has some SERIOUS problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA   Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA Empty

Back to top Go down

Important news about your privacy, courtesy of EA
Page 1 of 1