GAC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Galactic Adventure Club

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » It is time for our yearly pilgrimage.
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Terwynd Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:06 pm

» my forum now
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby lonestar4 Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:41 am

» Press F
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Dark_Plague Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:41 pm

» Happy Inactivity Anniversary
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Potatrobot Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:29 am

» Hi guys
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Sean1M Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:29 am

» -Three- Sentence Tale (REBOOT)
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Terwynd Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:08 am

» Music Appreciation (Forum Game)
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Terwynd Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:23 am

» Your very own art
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby ReFrostE Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:58 am

» Game Night 'To-buy' List
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Terwynd Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:21 pm

» Sentain IC
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Potatrobot Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:14 pm

» MC realms
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby camelfox Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:51 am

» Photoshop game
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Dark_Plague Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:29 am

» Tate's renders -- Now in college
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Potatrobot Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:24 am

» Warframe — Because Space Ninjas
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Delta Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:31 pm

» Random & Crazy Pictures
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Dark_Plague Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:12 am

» Stars Without Number OOC – Lifepath and Hacking Added
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Terwynd Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:02 am

» Hey guys...
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Talvox Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:38 am

» New Super Smash Bros. Game announced for teh Wii U and 3DS
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Potatrobot Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:29 pm

» What are your favorite youtube videos?
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Emptyby Terwynd Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 pm

Top posting users this week
    No user

[Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC

Go down 
    5 posters
    Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    AuthorMessage
    Delta
    Admin
    Delta

Upvotes: : 84

[Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Empty
    PostSubject: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 1:01 am

So last night the night before writing this post originally, I started looking through some free diceless RPG systems for something that might be fun to adapt for a forum — something which would allow us to keep the sort of style and freedom that I enjoy about forum RPs but with more concrete outcomes for characters' actions. I came across Attack of the Mutant (created in 1993, just noticed, whoa Wondering), which caught my eye because it would likely be easy enough to apply to either the KoNS or NR worlds (we can fairly easily think of aliens as superhumans — just ask the S-man himself!) and because the web-page is so sleek and well formatted. razz

If you've already looked at the size of the scroll-bar on that page and given your screen a good solid 'ಠ_ಠ, don't worry — I've ruthlessly cannibalised the system and arranged the entrails below.

My current goal with this thread is to test the water — to try out the character creation process and, assuming that goes well and we have a handful of players, run an RP that hopefully won't take more than a couple weeks: long enough to test the mechanics... Or if creating a character seems a bit too complicated I might be able to put together some extras myself — but I kinda enjoyed translating my NR characters to this system so I figured I'd give you guys the same chance. If you have feedback or suggestions of any sort please do speak up. Happy.

Now, without further ado, the system:

The Basics

The Basics:

Character Creation

Hoo boy:

Limited Powers and Attributes

Bit of a mouthful, that one:

Abilities, Weapons and Equipment

You're still here — good for you!:

Combat, Health and Awesome-Points
    I know you just skipped to this one for the phrase 'Awesome-Points':

Example Characters and Combat
    Example Characters and Combat:

That's a lot of info, which is why I'm rather tentative about straight-up launching an RP using it, but the idea is that once the characters are created it becomes relatively easy to play. The dream is to have a system that lets us make posts like we would in, say, NR, but the outcomes are decided by the numbers (at some times more than others: when it's just you versus the environment your attributes simply help by giving everyone an idea of what you're capable of) — and how well you RP to sway the circumstances in your favour during combat.

Even though the system was made with superheroes in mind, right now I'm in more of a sci-fi mood, so I'll copy-paste some character creation criteria from NR:

Character Sheet
    User:
    Name:
    Race:
    Homeworld:
    Bio:

Str:
    End:
    War:
    Spd:
    Inv:

Appearance:
    Intelligence:
    Perception:

Weight:

Possessions:

(Everything from Str downwards is explained in the spoiler tags.)

Characters, assuming you don't have one from NR you want to convert, can be characters you have created in Spore or a character derived from a different sci-fi franchise or your own mind if you feel like it, including, of course, humans.

Last edited by Delta on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:37 pm; edited 21 times in total
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Delta317
    Gelatino95
    Silver Spice
    Silver Spice
    Gelatino95

Upvotes: : 9

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 5:01 am

I've never joined an RP before, but seeing as I have a lot of free time on my hands, I'd be interested in something like that right about now. Is this a good place for me to start my RP career? Or is it perhaps too out-of-the-ordinary for beginners? I haven't read through the entire OP yet (it's a doozy) but so far I like the regimented structure that you have going on here.
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Gelatino95
    Potatrobot
    Bronze Spice
    Bronze Spice
    Potatrobot

Upvotes: : 21

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 10:46 am

I opened all of the spoilers, looked at the scroll bar, and then gave it 'ಠ_ಠ

Anyway, I'm curious as to how my NR characters would translate to this sort of setting.

Flank:

Samantha:

Earlier chatter:

Last edited by Potatrobot on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:21 pm; edited 20 times in total (Reason for editing : You know me. I'm hopeless with RP characters.)
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 11:50 am

Since equipment have attribute modifiers, wouldn't that mean I could basically give all my equipment exaggerated stats while not having to spend any of my attribute points on them? If so wouldn't that make the attribute system a little iffy? Wondering
    Back to top Go down
    Delta
    Admin
    Delta

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 1:09 pm

@Gelo: Everyone will be on the ground floor with this system, so I see no reason not to start here. Happy. You might also like to take a look at NR's rules section, as all of them are still applicable here — the only difference being that in combat the outcome of any given action is guided by the numbers rather than being purely decided by the player being hit.

@Razo: Points spent on weapons also count towards the total of 50 — the idea is that if you put a lot of points into your equipment you would have to have a pretty wimpy character.

@Potato: You weren't supposed to open all the tags at the same time what are you crazy.

Yeah, setting 'Heroic' as the zero was recommended as a good point for a 'low-level' game, but when I took a hard look at Dagon's strength I realised things needed tweaking. razz I'll tweak the labels on the OP to set Human as the zero, and we can go from there. If it turns out to be too limiting, perhaps I'll increase the points-per-character from 50. Will that cover the Weight problem too?

As for Flank's wings, you can account for their speed-boost with points in 'Speed, movement only', which costs half a character point (what I will henceforth refer to the total of 50 as) per point of speed added. The gliding I would value at 5 character points.

About the modifiers: You would want to set Flank's base Warfare stat to represent his overall familiarity with weapons (these points would be taken at full cost), and then add on the points that represent how much more proficient he is with his cannon — these points would be half-cost. eg: "War: 10 [+10 FLaK cannon]" would cost 15 character points, giving you a War rating of 10 at all times and a War rating of 20 when using the cannon. Happy. This would work the same way for his speed with wings. Does that help?
    Back to top Go down
    Potatrobot
    Bronze Spice
    Bronze Spice
    Potatrobot

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Your emoticons are broken, Delta. I can't stand not seeing the frequent yellow faces dotted throughout your posts O_o

I think increasing the character point scales will definitely entail increasing the point budget since everything will cost more. Perhaps 60-70 is a better budget when the attributes are changed, since the cost is increasing by ten points each and that has to average out somehow.

That entire last paragraph does help, a lot. I'll only be able to continue with the sheet once the attributes are rescaled, so I'll get to that when it's done.

Back to top Go down
    Delta
    Admin
    Delta

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 1:35 pm

I have already rescaled the attributes in the OP. Happy. And the emoticons: A lot of the time this new pain-in-the-butt reply box, which appeared without warning and I have as-yet been unable to revert, removes the space after my emotes when I edit my posts, breaking them.

I've experimented a little with using 60 and 70 point characters — I'll change the Character Point max to 60 for now, but if you want to construct a variant that has 50 or 70 just for the sake of argument, go ahead. Joyful
    Back to top Go down
    Potatrobot
    Bronze Spice
    Bronze Spice
    Potatrobot

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 2:19 pm

I'm readjusting Flank's numbers, and I think 70 is a comfortable limit (also being mindful that I'm not making him OP in the process). Just the way everything has such a high cost now that they've been moved up makes the overall cost rise quickly.

Do pseudo-attributes and weight draw from the budget? They're listed under the declaration of the maximum budget, which implies that they are an after thought for when all the points have been dealt. I'm assuming they do.

I've squeezed in the numbers as best I could for Flank. They started out as tens and fives but I had to cull them to keep them in a limit. I put the numbers in a calculator, and it gave a total of 62, including the weaknesses to electricity. The utility cost to Flank's cannon and its ability to load different types of ammunition was something I paid mind to, and still am at the moment. The effects differ from load to load, so I figure to balance them out, I'd lessen the cannon's strength and apply a different modifier for each type. Then when it comes to the overall cost for the cannon I'll average each cost.
    Back to top Go down
    Delta
    Admin
    Delta

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Pseudo-attributes and Weight do indeed count towards the point total — perhaps you could post what you have so far, to give me an idea of where things stand?

Flank always seemed like a higher-powered character than either of my two, whom I never lavished with a large variety of gear, so my current builds for Dagon and Kwa fit quite well into 60 points:

Revised Character Stats for Kwa and Dagon:

Of course there were a great many characters in NR with more going on than these two, so it'd be useful to get another opinion on this. Happy.

Last edited by Delta on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Back to top Go down
    Potatrobot
    Bronze Spice
    Bronze Spice
    Potatrobot

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 2:46 pm

Good. I counted them in the total, and I've completed the sheet as far as I can.

Not including the cannon, Flank stands at 45 points (including flight, which is as low as 3 because it's so substandard). The cannon itself is different, owing to its versatile nature. I added up its stats for one ammo type, then the next, etc, and divided the result by 4, averaging it. That gave 24, so Flank now stands at 69 points (phew!)

It's a good thing I decided to drop all of Flank's gear short of his cannon or there'd be no hope in hell for him. I'll refurbish the sheet with appearance details and whatnot, but right now it stands for the stats.
    Back to top Go down
    Gelatino95
    Silver Spice
    Silver Spice
    Gelatino95

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 4:17 pm

So I've been brainstorming a character for this, and I had an idea for an item.  Trouble is, I'm a bit unsure of which attributes factor into it.  It's basically a "tractor beam" thing that my character can use to grab enemies and pull them towards him.  It can also be used to move heavy objects, giving it a bit of extra utility.  The downside is that on really heavy objects or fleeing enemies, the tractor beam sucks up a lot of power and can only be used for about five seconds or so before it needs time to recharge.  I'd assume it would have a really high Strength attribute, but what else?  Or is high strength good enough?

(basically the only reason I even had the idea is because it's a pun on the character's name, so give me this, if nothing else Wink)
    Back to top Go down
    Delta
    Admin
    Delta

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 4:36 pm

You could give the device a base strength representing its ability to move objects at all times, and an additional limited strength that can only be used once per battle, so something like "Str: 10 [+20 once per battle]". If the limiting condition were once per battle, I'd give you those points at 25% cost, making the total value of that example 15 points. Happy.

How would either of you feel about putting the characters up to 80 points, potentially? >:P
    Back to top Go down
    Gelatino95
    Silver Spice
    Silver Spice
    Gelatino95

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 4:41 pm

With 80 points, you could have several attributes at superhuman levels while still maintaining a realistic character.  I personally would prefer a lower number since it would force you to think creatively in allocating your points to attributes and gear and such.  But really, I suppose anything goes with this.  80 might raise the bar a bit, but I'd be interested to see what the characters look like.

And as for the tractor beam, it's not really "once per battle" but rather it just takes a minute to automatically recharge after being drained of power.  One whole minute could be devastating in a close battle, so could I maybe get 50% cost instead?
    Back to top Go down
    Delta
    Admin
    Delta

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 5:00 pm

The main issue is measuring time, since it can be quite flexible in an RP — figuring out when a minute has passed in the middle of a battle might be challenging, but if you want to do that as opposed to using it once per fight then yeah, half-cost sounds fine.

Last edited by Delta on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Back to top Go down
    Gelatino95
    Silver Spice
    Silver Spice
    Gelatino95

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 5:01 pm

Cool. Now I can probably start making my character.
    Back to top Go down
    3D
    Admin

Upvotes: : 8

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 5:47 pm

I probably missed something in the main post, but if character and weapon statistics are shared, does this mean theoretically that one could create a weapon (Toothpick, -20 everything) and then use those excess points to boost characters statistics to an inordinate degree? Or would the character be forced into using the weapon?
    Back to top Go down
    https://wordpress.com/posts/agcodes.wordpress.com
    Potatrobot
    Bronze Spice
    Bronze Spice
    Potatrobot

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 5:58 pm

That's true O_o A junk item could really be used to grant extra points like that.

I also edited Samantha's sheet into the post, and I used Flank's one remaining character point to make him less ugly. They now both reach the total of 70.
    Back to top Go down
    Delta
    Admin
    Delta

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 7:52 pm

It's strange, I distinctly remember writing something in to counter this but I can't find it where it ought to be — I might have accidentally deleted. In any case, I've added onto the opening paragraph of 'Weapons, Items and Devices' (in the 'abilities, weapons and equipment' tab):

I wrote:
    items can have their own attributes if you so wish, but their overall points value must not be below zero (you can't, say, make a really terrible knife and then simply not use it to grant yourself extra points to use elsewhere):
    Back to top Go down
    Gelatino95
    Silver Spice
    Silver Spice
    Gelatino95

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 8:28 pm

So, do you have any sort of story planned for this? That would help a lot in making my character bio.
    Back to top Go down
    Delta
    Admin
    Delta

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 9:29 pm

Currently I like the idea of resurrecting NR in a more bite-size form — more on that later, perhaps, but for now I'll try and make a mini-summary of NR:

The setting is very loosely based on the Spore Space stage, but may otherwise be considered generic sci-fi (if I decide to launch an RP with this system I'll put some time into nailing down details like how interstellar flight works, how much of the galaxy is explored etc.). The protagonists are a group of mercenaries called Nerrone's Rangers, lead by Dagon and Kwa. The main power keeping peace in their sector of the galaxy, the Coalition, has recently come under attack by an unknown power known as the Kingdom (I'm half-tempted to rename one or both factions). After closely preventing the destruction of a floating city on a desert world, they were roped into helping the Coalition track down the strike cruiser responsible for the attack. The players' mode of transport is the Lacuna, a run-down smuggling ship kinda in the vein of KOTOR's Ebon Hawk. At the point we left off they had set down on the Coalition homeworld Tareen, an advanced world with large cities and stretches of green countryside, with the aim of tracking down the Silent Temple, a shadowy organisation that has been lending its assassins and saboteurs to the Kingdom.
    Back to top Go down
    Gelatino95
    Silver Spice
    Silver Spice
    Gelatino95

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 9:42 pm

I've actually been reading through the first Nerrone's Rangers thread and I really love it so far (I'm only on page 4).  I would be honored to participate in an RP in that vein.

edit: I'm working on art for my character and I'm going to make a small interactive Flash thing to show all his gear. It's gonna be sick.
    Back to top Go down
    3D
    Admin

Upvotes: : 8

PostSubject: Sciris Character Sheet   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 4:02 am

WIP as rules are improved/modified. Happy.
    [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC 6acf31607d0c0f47b4816a33de8b86da

User:3D
    Name: Sciris
    Homeworld: Varis
    Species: Varian

Bio: Sciris works as a contract-killer, and though there are speculations as to why exactly Sciris peruses the line of work with such assiduity, he himself never discloses the reason. [There is a real reason, but it's no fun disclosing it right away]

Varian History: Introverts and isolationists by nature, the Varians are widely disliked for their unsympathetic, pitiless attitude and gaunt, deathly complexions, further encouraging seclusion. This lack of communication with other sentient species has given the natives of Varis generations to enhance and advance their weapons and technology, resulting in a massive upwards economic shift thanks to the export of said craftsmanship, as well as aiding in cementing their image as an independent and prodigiously well armed system.

Adding to its inaccessibility for the majority of life-forms, Varis is a barren, arctic planet whose inhabitants breathe chlorine gas instead of oxygen, resulting in their needing to utilize respiratory devices. While still largely effective, the respiratory devices frequently take too long in transforming the atmosphere into chlorine gas, resulting in slower regenerative capabilities and endurance.

Edit: Revamped point distribution to better suit how I'd envisioned my character.
    Character point distribution:

Last edited by 3D on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:20 pm; edited 33 times in total
    Back to top Go down
    https://wordpress.com/posts/agcodes.wordpress.com
    Gelatino95
    Silver Spice
    Silver Spice
    Gelatino95

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 4:08 am

Wow, I can hardly read that small gray text at all.

But from what I can see, it looks good. Very deadly.
    Back to top Go down
    Delta
    Admin
    Delta

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 5:26 am

That all seems to be in order. Happy. I'm excited to see how this'll play — I'd better start setting up some NPC characters.
    Back to top Go down
    Naboo9
    Purple spice
    Purple spice
    Naboo9

Upvotes: : 4
    Location : The Verdant Hills, screaming at Dreadking Rathalos.

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 5:48 am

WIP

Jrakel:

Nab'desen :

Last edited by Naboo9 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:28 am; edited 22 times in total
    Back to top Go down
    http://the3nigma.deviantart.com/
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC   [Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC Empty

Back to top Go down

[Diceless-Based RP] NR: Swires OOC
    Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next