GAC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Galactic Adventure Club

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» It is time for our yearly pilgrimage.
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Terwynd Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:06 pm

» my forum now
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby lonestar4 Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:41 am

» Press F
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Dark_Plague Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:41 pm

» Happy Inactivity Anniversary
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Potatrobot Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:29 am

» Hi guys
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Sean1M Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:29 am

» -Three- Sentence Tale (REBOOT)
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Terwynd Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:08 am

» Music Appreciation (Forum Game)
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Terwynd Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:23 am

» Your very own art
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby ReFrostE Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:58 am

» Game Night 'To-buy' List
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Terwynd Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:21 pm

» Sentain IC
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Potatrobot Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:14 pm

» MC realms
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby camelfox Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:51 am

» Photoshop game
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Dark_Plague Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:29 am

» Tate's renders -- Now in college
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Potatrobot Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:24 am

» Warframe — Because Space Ninjas
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Delta Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:31 pm

» Random & Crazy Pictures
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Dark_Plague Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:12 am

» Stars Without Number OOC – Lifepath and Hacking Added
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Terwynd Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:02 am

» Hey guys...
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Talvox Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:38 am

» New Super Smash Bros. Game announced for teh Wii U and 3DS
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Potatrobot Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:29 pm

» What are your favorite youtube videos?
E3 2012 - Page 2 Emptyby Terwynd Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 pm

Top posting users this week
No user

E3 2012

Go down 
+13
Kitty
Terwynd
Dark_Plague
Drew
PrincessNintendo
DRaGO
Talvox
trembler95
DarkStar
Hutch
IsakTheWriter
Pukinglilcuttlefish
Ferrety
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kitty
Silver Spice
Silver Spice
Kitty

Upvotes: : 58

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 11:11 am

Dark_potato57 wrote:
That said, it is pretty hard to come up with original ideas. Alien invasion, for example, seems to be a good formula for games because they've been around since Space Invaders, and it doesn't look like people will ever stop making them. My point for this paragraph is that the central theme of a game does not necessarily have to be original.
Meh, fair enough.
I might as well talk about some of the positive aspects of the game.
Like, what about the Ice titan boss fight?

It has you climb about on a giant made of ice, where you have to avoid being shaken off and dodge it's attacks as you climb further and further, in an effort to get to it's only weakness, marked by a runed circle in it's head. When you finally make it, you are rewarded by seeing it falling forward bleeding from it's wound as you finish him off. Pretty cool, huh?

Oh wait, that sounds kinda farmilliar...
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Pukinglilcuttlefish
Pink Spice
Pink Spice
Pukinglilcuttlefish

Upvotes: : 2

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 11:50 pm

Yes, current generation games are unoriginal. That's no reason not to like them or to brand them as bad games. They can still have an interesting storyline and great gameplay. That's what they're about. Storyline and gameplay. It bothers me that a few game developers leave these aspects out of the game as they are unimportant to them....Activision seems to do this a lot.
Back to top Go down
http://pukinglilcuttlefish.deviantart.com
Drew
Admin

Upvotes: : 20

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 12:55 am

My xbox is gathering dust. I am with you on that Puking. I don't see how so many people get sucked into buying the same exact game every few months.
Back to top Go down
Potatrobot
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice
Potatrobot

Upvotes: : 21

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 1:13 am

If you like taking down a giant colossus, would you be content with playing only the one colossus down taking game? Or would you like some variety in your favourite genre? Same with alien invasion. Would you like to play Halo for the rest of your days or would you want to mix it up with Resistance, Killzone, and Mass Effect?

I think I've hit my original point right on the head this time. One game of each theme will get boring very quickly. What if the colossus down taking game wasn't that great? The controls were terrible? Another game could do it right. That's what every incarnation of every game theme strives to do when others can't.
Back to top Go down
Kitty
Silver Spice
Silver Spice
Kitty

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 6:50 am

Dark_potato57 wrote:
What if the colossus down taking game wasn't that great? The controls were terrible? Another game could do it right. That's what every incarnation of every game theme strives to do when others can't.
I'm sorry, but I'm not letting that statment slide.

Normally I wouldn't have been so harsh on a game being this unoriginal if they copied the fun gameplay too. However, Castlevania doesn't do this. Not only does it copy
Shadow of the Colossus right down to the end cutscene, it does it badly.
Here's what goes on during both boss fights:

Shadow of the Colossus
Navigate up the body of the colossus by pushing the analog stick, trying to find a way up Assassin's Creed style. At certain times you must hold a certain indicated button to avoid being shaken off. The gameplay is ingaging and unpredictable.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Keep pushing analog stick right to climb up the ice giant. Hold A at times to avoid being shaken off. at nearly unpredictable times, the ice giant reaches back and flicks you off, forcing you to start all over again. Gameplay is tedious and, at some points, frustrating.

So, really, if you're going to steal gameplay ideas, at least do it right.
Back to top Go down
Potatrobot
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice
Potatrobot

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 8:50 am

I think you have let it slide, because I don't feel like you've opposed my point at all there. You've sort of proved it in that some games can pull off a good theme while others ruin it, in this case the colossus games.

Perhaps I should have pointed out that I only used the colossus theme as a relevant example in my explanation, but not to say that the latter of the two games (that is, Castlevania) improved on what Shadow of the Colossus pulled off quite nicely. I was merely saying that a game could improve on another of the same genre.

So essentially, my explanation gave the impression that I thought Castlevania improved on Shadow of the Colossus because it pointed out that games that copy others can generally improve. That's not the case. I didn't even pay heed to which order they came in, they were just a relevant example.
Back to top Go down
Kitty
Silver Spice
Silver Spice
Kitty

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Dark_potato57 wrote:
I think you have let it slide, because I don't feel like you've opposed my point at all there. You've sort of proved it in that some games can pull off a good theme while others ruin it, in this case the colossus games.
Uh, dude?

I'm only here to talk about Castlevania. I'm not too sure why you're expecting me to disprove your point on how others games can improve genres and the like. But if you insist...

Dark_potato57 wrote:
So essentially, my explanation gave the impression that I thought Castlevania improved on Shadow of the Colossus because it pointed out that games that copy others can generally improve. That's not the case. I didn't even pay heed to which order they came in, they were just a relevant example.
There's a problem here, though. The Colossus climbing aspect was what made the game unique. Even if it was a bad game, and Castlevania perfomed it better, it'd still be considered a Colossus clone, as it's basically stealing SotC's main theme.
And before you try and disprove this, here's another example.

Fortresscraft.
E3 2012 - Page 2 53793

This game has better graphics, it's downloadable to consoles and, according to it's developer, it's based more on creativity and interaction between peers instead of survival, so it's obviously better.
That excuses it from being a complete minecraft clone, right?
Riiiiiiiight??
Back to top Go down
Potatrobot
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice
Potatrobot

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 2:39 pm

I'm getting mixed messages here. I don't know about you, but "I'm sorry, but I'm not letting that statement slide" can only be interpreted in one way and that way is that you disagree with something I've said. What were you trying to say when you posted that sentence, if not that you disagree?

My previous post consisted on a simple observation about the argument you put forward and a bunch of very generic statements explaining what I thought the problem was, the problem being that you seemed to take my post as an indication as to which game I think is better, a subject in which I have little to no interest. How you managed to take that submissive, almost apologetic explanation of what I said as some sort of challenge goes way over my head.

Another mixed message: earlier you compared the two games and made SotC out as the poor rip off of Castlevania. That's all well and good, until you compare the games again and make Castlevania out as the more irritating of the two games. And then, I don't know how to put this.

Kitty wrote:
The Colossus climbing aspect was what made the game unique. Even if it was a bad game, and Castlevania performed it better, it'd still be considered a Colossus clone, as it's basically stealing SotC's main theme.

What. I don't even know which game you're referring to at first, but you then make the point that Castlevania, even though it's a thieving clone of SotC, does the colossus climbing aspect better. You mentioned earlier that it was more irritating and frustrating.

Kitty wrote:
Normally I wouldn't have been so harsh on a game being this unoriginal if they copied the fun gameplay too. However, Castlevania doesn't do this. Not only does it copy
Shadow of the Colossus right down to the end cutscene, it does it badly.

So which of the two games do you think is in the wrong? SotC for being a rip off of Castlevania as you pointed out in you post with videos, Castlevania for being irritating and unpredictable in your post where you compare the gameplay, SotC because Castlevania performs better than it, or Castlevania because it stole SotC's main theme and copied it badly?

My original point was that games within the same genre generally improve on their predecessors, clone or no clone. Have I been wrong so far? Castlevania, on the majority, has been made out as the better of two games, and it came out five whole years after SotC.

Where did the dispute come from?
Back to top Go down
Epsilon
Purple spice
Purple spice
Epsilon

Upvotes: : 14

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 2:53 pm

I know you guys are busy arguing about stuff and all but I just can't wait to get the new Forza game.

Thank you, that is all.
Back to top Go down
Delta
Admin
Delta

Upvotes: : 84

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 3:11 pm

@Potato: I can understand that the wording might throw you off a bit, but I'm pretty sure what Kitty is trying to say is that, in every case, Shadow of the Colossus is the better of the two. razz

Me, I've not played any Castlevania, and can therefore say only that it would be very difficult to exceed the level of gameplay refinement achieved by Shadow of the Colossus. Anyone who has not played that game should either go buy the PS3 re-release or start digging through pre-owned PS2 games now to find a copy. After seven years, it still goes for 20 GBP on the PS2. XD

I had a bit of a sift through the E3 site earlier this week; the only thing that caught my eye was Tomb Raider Crossroads. I really like the idea: showing the protagonist's growth from a vulnerable creature into the Lara Croft of every other game in the franchise via a trip through hell, but God help me I can see her voice acting getting irritating. E3 2012 - Page 2 402878
Back to top Go down
http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Delta317
Kitty
Silver Spice
Silver Spice
Kitty

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 3:30 pm

Holy crap

Did you just disregard the entire point of my post (including evidence of your theory being incorrect) in favor of how I worded one sentence?

Are you even freaking TRYING to make a decent argument, or are you just trying to be funny?
Back to top Go down
Delta
Admin
Delta

Upvotes: : 84

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 3:33 pm

I think this discussion has become rather tangled, razz best try not to let it collapse into flaming.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Delta317
Kitty
Silver Spice
Silver Spice
Kitty

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Delta wrote:
best try not to let it collapse into flaming.
I'm honest trying my best to resist the urge to flame anyone.

In fact I'm not even sure why I'm still arguing here, this could've ended ages ago.
Back to top Go down
Potatrobot
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice
Potatrobot

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm sorry. That whole thing was my mistake.

I screwed up, and I'm really embarrassed. All over grammar I based my only argument and it blew up in my face. You win Kitty. Isn't that what you wanted? To win?

Hope you enjoy it, I don't. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Epsilon
Purple spice
Purple spice
Epsilon

Upvotes: : 14

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Oh. And Halo 4 looks interesting as well.
Back to top Go down
DRaGO
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice
DRaGO

Upvotes: : 39

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Since I'm a bit of a sucker for lego games, I gotta say I'm excited by the plethora that Ttgames showed off. It's also nice to see them pushing their formula past what they've been used to working with. Lego LotR looks to be the most similar to what they've done before, with smaller open-world sequences. However, I think it will be interesting to see how well integrating voices into the lego universe will work.

For those who don't know, characters in lego games typically "speak" in a system of head wobbles and indistinct mumbles, maybe a scream or two here. All three new lego games promise actual voice acting, something that will certainly fit in Lego LotR.

The other two Lego games are Lego Batman 2 and Lego City Undercover. The cool thing about both these games is that they are TRUE open-world games, instead of, as I mentioned before, smaller open-world sequences. Both look fun, with the latter looking like a sort of reverse GTA, something I'm surprised Lego was okay with.

Aside from lego games, Watch Dogs looked pretty cool to me, as did a Star Wars 1313. Not sure anything else stood out, but there is still some time left to watch for new games.

Oh please oh please, Valve, make a surprise appearance...
Back to top Go down
http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Dragonman9
Talvox
Green Spice
Green Spice
Talvox

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Yeah, I'm a fan of the LEGO games too. I knew Batman 2 and LotR was coming out, but not Undercover. I'ma have to check the site out for that one. razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Taladox
AgentAG
Purple spice
Purple spice

Upvotes: : -1
Location : Gone, except for the occasional post in the game night thread. Yay.

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 9:37 pm

I'm mostly excited about Planetside 2... It looks awesome, and best of all, it'll be free to play!
Also, actual voices in a lego game? O.o Blasphemy!
Back to top Go down
PrincessNintendo
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice
PrincessNintendo

Upvotes: : 19

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 10:53 pm

DRaGO wrote:
Since I'm a bit of a sucker for lego games, I gotta say I'm excited by the plethora that Ttgames showed off. It's also nice to see them pushing their formula past what they've been used to working with. Lego LotR looks to be the most similar to what they've done before, with smaller open-world sequences. However, I think it will be interesting to see how well integrating voices into the lego universe will work.

For those who don't know, characters in lego games typically "speak" in a system of head wobbles and indistinct mumbles, maybe a scream or two here. All three new lego games promise actual voice acting, something that will certainly fit in Lego LotR.

The other two Lego games are Lego Batman 2 and Lego City Undercover. The cool thing about both these games is that they are TRUE open-world games, instead of, as I mentioned before, smaller open-world sequences. Both look fun, with the latter looking like a sort of reverse GTA, something I'm surprised Lego was okay with.

I'm the same! Myself and my sister love playing them though half the time, we have a little lego fight over who get's to build, dig, drive, etc. XD I was shocked when I saw the Lego LOTR trailer when I heard actual voices. I thought this was a joke but if they really do add them, they would be some heck of a lego game to have in the lego game collection. Asides from them, I'm a bit excited for Pikmen 3 and the new Skylander's Giants (Meh it's better then nothing ^^').
Back to top Go down
Pukinglilcuttlefish
Pink Spice
Pink Spice
Pukinglilcuttlefish

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 1:51 am

I personally love Naughty Dog and the games they've made. The AI in this game is astounding. None of it is scripted. Too bad I don't own a PS3...
Back to top Go down
IsakTheWriter
Green Spice
Green Spice
IsakTheWriter

Upvotes: : 11

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 10:08 pm

The new star on E3. This looks amazing and seems to be pretty new thinking. At least about game play.
Reminds me a bit about Neuromancer.
But it will only be released for Xbox360 and PS3. But a man can dream...
Back to top Go down
Pukinglilcuttlefish
Pink Spice
Pink Spice
Pukinglilcuttlefish

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 11:31 pm

This game looks....AMAZING. I'm very excited for this game. This looks like a good conclusion to the Halo series. Hopefully it will be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: E3 2012   E3 2012 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

E3 2012
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2