GAC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Galactic Adventure Club

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Latest topics
» It is time for our yearly pilgrimage.
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Terwynd Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:06 pm

» my forum now
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby lonestar4 Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:41 am

» Press F
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Dark_Plague Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:41 pm

» Happy Inactivity Anniversary
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Potatrobot Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:29 am

» Hi guys
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Sean1M Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:29 am

» -Three- Sentence Tale (REBOOT)
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Terwynd Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:08 am

» Music Appreciation (Forum Game)
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Terwynd Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:23 am

» Your very own art
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby ReFrostE Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:58 am

» Game Night 'To-buy' List
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Terwynd Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:21 pm

» Sentain IC
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Potatrobot Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:14 pm

» MC realms
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby camelfox Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:51 am

» Photoshop game
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Dark_Plague Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:29 am

» Tate's renders -- Now in college
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Potatrobot Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:24 am

» Warframe — Because Space Ninjas
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Delta Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:31 pm

» Random & Crazy Pictures
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Dark_Plague Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:12 am

» Stars Without Number OOC – Lifepath and Hacking Added
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Terwynd Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:02 am

» Hey guys...
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Talvox Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:38 am

» New Super Smash Bros. Game announced for teh Wii U and 3DS
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Potatrobot Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:29 pm

» What are your favorite youtube videos?
The Science Thread - Page 7 Emptyby Terwynd Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 pm

Top posting users this week
No user

The Science Thread

Go down 
+17
Jat371
lamaclause
Lark98
byball9
camelfox
DarkStar
Frogger1093
Mitchz95
kobbleykobkob
Terwynd
Daxter
DarkFish
Pintoz
ReFrostE
3D
Lazernugget
Gelatino95
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

What is your favorite field of science?
Biology
The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_lcap18%The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_rcap
 18% [ 4 ]
Physics
The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_lcap14%The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 3 ]
Astronomy
The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_lcap27%The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_rcap
 27% [ 6 ]
Archaeology (paleontology)
The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_lcap0%The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Microbiology
The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_lcap0%The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Chemistry
 0% [ 0 ]
I like them all
The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_lcap27%The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_rcap
 27% [ 6 ]
I don't like science
The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_lcap5%The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Other (tell us about it)
The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_lcap9%The Science Thread - Page 7 I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice
Lazernugget

Upvotes: : 6
Location : At the hadron colider poking antimatter with a rod.

The Science Thread - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   The Science Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 2:59 am

String theory is a developing theory in particle physics that attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity.[1] It is a contender for the theory of everything (TOE), a manner of describing the known fundamental forces and matter in a mathematically complete system. The theory has yet to make testable experimental predictions, which a theory must do in order to be considered a part of science.

happy.
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice
Gelatino95

Upvotes: : 9

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   The Science Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 3:01 am

Lazernugget wrote:
String theory is a developing theory in particle physics that attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity.[1] It is a contender for the theory of everything (TOE), a manner of describing the known fundamental forces and matter in a mathematically complete system. The theory has yet to make testable experimental predictions, which a theory must do in order to be considered a part of science.

happy.
Yes, I know what it says on wikipedia, but can you explain it for us, and maybe actually state the theory? Part of the definition of a theory is that it must be able to be stated in words and/or symbols.
Back to top Go down
http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Gelatino95
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice
Lazernugget

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   The Science Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 3:05 am

OKay, it's a theory of physics that states all matter is made of 2D slices of 3D objects, existing in an 11D world. They would design all time and space, and so when strings react, the disturbance causes things to happen, whether small or big, as they stretch or bundle, space-time distorts, creating events and matter itself.

Strings make up everything, even time and space.
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice
Gelatino95

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   The Science Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 6:44 am

Well, as they say (or as I say, more accurately) theories are just ways that people interpret the world in a way that they can understand. So from a technical standpoint, all theories are incorrect. But in reality, theories just make it easier for us to interpret the world, making a projection based on what our senses take in. So theories cannot be proven right or wrong.

As for string theory, it is just a way to look at the universe that makes sense for humans. So it can't technically be proven right or wrong.
Back to top Go down
Mudo
Pink Spice
Pink Spice
Mudo

Upvotes: : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   The Science Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 7:10 am

I know very little about quantum physics, though I'd say I've a little over average, having read some books on the subject, including all of Hawking's books, (Save the Grand Design, just got it for Christmas) I think alot of people underestimate just how mind bogglingly hard Quantum physics really is, and think themselves experts just by knowing a few interesting facts. I mean, look at the difficulty of just regular physics! Here, how about a lesson to illustrate the point? happy.

Any Science buffs here? Solve this problem, it's a relatively simple one, no X axis to worry about and because of the setting, no air resistance.

A team of astronauts land on the moon, and conduct experiments to test gravity. To do this, They place a ball into a small launcher. They then shoot the ball straight up at the speed of 10 m/s, and quickly remove the launcher, so that the ball can hit the ground at the exact point it rested before being moved. The ball flies up through the air, hits a peak, and then lands on the ground 12.5 seconds later. What is the force (Or acceleration due to gravity, more accurately) of gravity on the moon?

Heres a calculator, it should help tremendously. http://www.calculateforfree.com/sci.html

Here's a formula, in case you're totally lost, and want to keep trying.
Spoiler:

Here's the answer, iso you can check your work.

Spoiler:

Any questions? If anybody cares, and doesn't understand how this is done, I have no problems demonstrating.

I dunno, that was kinda pointless, but I like physics alot, as well as most science. As for you Lazer, judging by your previous posts, you sound pretty intrested in all this, and I think I could really give you a boost up in the science department, several grades I think, if you're willing to learn. I don't mean to say I'm smarter, in fact, I'm willing to bet otherwise, in the science department at least, literature is my specialty, I'm just alot older, (seven years I believe) and it seems to me that you've got alot of potential, and if you are willing to be mentored, I can see you tearing up your science class for years to come. :Wink:

@Gelo's last post. Really? Quite interesting. Is it a simillar concept to the electron cloud, or am I on the wrong track completly?
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice
Gelatino95

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   The Science Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 7:34 am

Mudo wrote:
@Gelo's last post. Really? Quite interesting. Is it a simillar concept to the electron cloud, or am I on the wrong track completly?
No, actually. But I understand why you would think that. I was just... philosophizing.
Back to top Go down
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice
Lazernugget

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   The Science Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 7:37 am

Cool, good quantum mechanics and general physics Mudo, your like another me! And yet I'm 10 XD but love quantum physics and extreme mathematics.
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice
Gelatino95

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   The Science Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 6:30 pm

Lazernugget wrote:
Cool, good quantum mechanics and general physics Mudo, your like another me! And yet I'm 10 XD but love quantum physics and extreme mathematics.
I like physics and stuff, but I just don't like solving equations with physics. I was really bad at it in seventh grade.
Back to top Go down
Mudo
Pink Spice
Pink Spice
Mudo

Upvotes: : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   The Science Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 8:30 pm

Gelatino95 wrote:
Lazernugget wrote:
I like physics and stuff, but I just don't like solving equations with physics. I was really bad at it in seventh grade.

Lol... but isn't that the definition of physics? Oh well, I think I know what you mean. The concepts are a lot more fun than problems.

Was anybody able to solve that problem? Anybody want to see how?
Back to top Go down
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice
Lazernugget

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   The Science Thread - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 8:42 pm

Before I ask you to tell us how, what is the hypercube root of 256?

After solving please explain.
Back to top Go down
Lazernugget
Bronze Spice
Bronze Spice
Lazernugget

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   The Science Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 9:43 pm

(24 Hour Bump)

What should we discuss now?
Back to top Go down
Gelatino95
Silver Spice
Silver Spice
Gelatino95

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   The Science Thread - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 11:18 pm

I think that this thread is going to be used a lot less now that Blender has made his new forum, Lazer. This should probably be locked and archived. It was a good thread while it lasted. Locking and archiving now...

For anybody who still wants to discuss science, go on over here:
http://thelab.forumotion.com/forum
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Science Thread   The Science Thread - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Science Thread
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7